Happy Valentine’s Day! Or Happy Friday! I have to say that while I’m not one of those v-day haters, this isn’t my favorite holiday. If ever there was day that shows the destructive power of expectations, then this is it. BUT – there are ways to make it fun! Check out my ideas and I’m hoping you’ll fill in #10 for me by telling me what sweet, funny, kind thing you are doing for someone today! (Or even not doing!)
10 Sneaky Nice Things To Do For Your Valentine
1. Put a small plastic toy in their cereal box. Remember how much you loved those things when you were a kid? Sure you could have bought it for 25 cents at the store and saved the mess but how fun was the surprise of watching a mini stamp set with dried-out ink plop into your pink milk?
Spock pointing a gun at me is definitely the first thing I want to see in the morning. But don’t worry, you get a free badge.
2. Dip something in chocolate. Convention tells us that to be truly romantic you need to dip strawberries in chocolate – because romance is tasteless out-of-season fruit. Think outside the box and try dipping other stuff, like celery. Celery is a delightful cold-weather veggie. Worried about taste? Chocolate makes everything better! Other cold-weather staples to consider: Broccoli, spinach (think of the anti-oxidant double whammy!) and bratwurst. Be sure to leave whatever it is on their pillow.
Better yet, make it a guessing game! Which one is the knob from the dishwasher?? (Love this box from Blue Kale Road.)
3. Make their bed. Is it your bed too? Leave your side unmade to show you’re only thinking of their comfort today.
4. No spoilers! Promise not to watch the Olympics without them OR look up the results online and tell them who won/lost.
I just wanted an excuse to post this pic. A) Because that hot pink catsuit is the best Olympic skating costume ever and B) I think he’s twirling his mustache. I hope they win all the golds. Even those in Curling.
5. Make an honest coupon book. My kids love doing this one for me. Which is super sweet, except that they always write stuff they’ll never actually do. (“I’ll clean the whole house!” “I won’t fight with my brother for a three days!” and “I’ll make you a gourmet dinner” all translate to: “I’m going to be a fiction writer when I grow up!” Which, of course, I’d be the proudest mama ever on the front-row of their book signings.) So write things you actually have the time and energy to do. Example: “I’ll put away the clean cups, plates and silverware from the dishwasher – I don’t know where the other ‘weird’ stuff goes.” “I’ll clean and change the oil in your car… by taking it to a professional.” “I’ll give you a foot rub on your right foot before I fall asleep. The next night I’ll do your left.”
6. Buy two boxes of chocolates. That way you can give your Love one and honestly promise not to eat any of theirs because you have your own!
Or this will do.
7. Give/make them a squatty potty. Nothing says “I love you” like “I care deeply about your bowels and want you to never experience the prickling joy of hemorrhoids.” Pretty sure there’s a Hallmark card for this and everything. Seriously, just stick it by the toilet, draw feet on it and they’ll figure it out! Bonus points for putting a copy of their fave magazine in there too. (Seriously though, I love that thing so much that my husband and I ditched the laundry basket and got us the real deal!)
First, those are chocolate bars so stop freaking out. Second, this is an actual still from the infomercial. Third, this only makes me love them more.
8. Warm socks. Seriously, with the winter we’re all having this is the sexiest item of clothing ever.
8. Write him or her a note, telling them five things you love about them or share what your remember about the first time you met them or your favorite memory with them that makes you laugh. No seriously, you should do this one.
Here’s my #1 for my hubby… (Seriously though parenting advice #1: If you can’t laugh at your kids then why did you have them??)
P.S. Or you could still enter my Target $1000 gift card giveaway! That would buy some pretty sweet lingerie (footie pajamas that look like sock monkeys totally count, right?)
Got a favorite Valentine’s day item to add to my list?