Backbends are so slimming! Unfortunately they not only flatten your tummy but your boobs too.
Poofy or neon. Hand quilted or sleek leather. Stuffed to the brim or neatly organized. Whatever yours looks like, a gym bag is a staple for most exercising folks. (And one of the few times guys get social permission to carry a purse without checking their man card.)
All the Gym Buddies carry one because not only do they free up our hands for carrying screaming kiddos but we also like to leave them strewn around the weight floor to add a little obstacle-course fun to everyone’s workout. (No we don’t – that’s horrible gym etiquette! Ok we don’t do it intentionally. Usually. I’m sorry.) And I like to think that they are a great indicator of our personalities. Megan carries a utilitarian, single-shoulder, multi-pocketed, gray and black backpack that doubles as her diaper bag – unsurprisingly she is the one who always has spare pants when anyone’s kid has an accident. Krista totes a basic black canvas bag with a large bird applique on it – not because she likes birds but because she’s frugal and it was cheap. Allison uses a brown print cotton bag … And mine? Well I like to think mine is as crazy as I am.
These are my gym bag essentials:
1. Workouts! This is our current T-Tapp workout written up in poster size that I tape to the mirror every morning so we can get our pelvic thrusting synchronized.
2. My Brita water bottle. Now that I’ve gone filtered I may never go back. People hawk loogies into our drinking fountains! (And if filters don’t filter out boogers please don’t tell me in the comments because I am happy living in ignorance.)
3. My Gymboss timer. Bodyrock.tv and Tabata interval workouts are impossible without a good interval timer. (Now that I’ve finally figured out how to program it…)
4. I usually keep a spare pair of socks and this suh-weet candy corn pair are courtesy of Turbo Jennie. Because she knows how much I loathe candy corn. (Seriously it is the most vile candy ever invented. I don’t care if you do make it into Butterfingers. Ick.) Don’t worry, I got her back by sticking the $20 I owed her down her top while she had a weight bar balanced on her shoulders doing squats.
5. Sweat towel. This one has an adorable monkey on it and disconcertingly smells like vomit. And no, it’s not the towel I nose-puked in. (Side note: I almost did another Crappy Pictures post with what happened when I didn’t realize you have to peel the food wax off of turnips before cooking them. Let’s just say it came out the other end exactly how it went in. It floated like an oil slick. Ok, I swear I’m done. See? You guys dodged a serious bullet right there.)
6. MP3 player. I’m old school. This is a cheap-o model I got six years ago that only holds 30 songs and is literally held together by duct tape. (Upside: it fits perfectly in my cleavage because 50% of my workout bottoms have no pockets.)
7. Weighted jump rope. For some reason jump ropes are like gold at our YMCA. They can never keep them stocked because people steal them all the time. I know – who steals a jump rope when they could make off with a kettlebell in their pants??
8. My workout book. This is my most prized workout possession. Every time the Gym Buddies and I do a workout we really like we write it down in my little green book and on days when we don’t have anything planned we randomly pick a page. They call it the book of torture but I only torture those I love. Just ask my kids.
9. Weight gloves. It’s true that these awesome Harbinger gloves protect my girly hands from ugly callouses but I’ll be honest: I like to wear them because it makes me feel bada**. And I have so few opportunities in my life to feel that way so I’m going with it.
10. A toy car. My bag is rife with little toys, half-eaten granola bars, dirty kleenexes and other kid crap. Just the other day I pulled out my sweat towel and wiped down my sweaty chest only to have Allison dissolve into gales of laughter. Turns out there was a very large Transformers sticker stuck to one boob thanks to a child who had shoved it in my bag where it had gotten stuck to my towel. It was like the most inappropriate pastie ever.
11. Sweatshirt. I’m always freezing. Until I’m suddenly drenched in sweat and dying of heat. And then when we finish our workout I’m freezing again. Layers are a must.
Not pictured: diapers, garbage, torn-out magazine workouts, garbage, a set of wrist sweatbands for when we do kettlebells or Retro Turbo, garbage, random change, garbage and my ID card.
So now I’m curious what your gym bag essentials are? What does your bag look like (and what does it say about you??
For all my blogger friends: I thought it would be fun to do a slideshow for Shape.com about what fitness bloggers have in their gym bags (Tampons that look like candy? Half-eaten granola bar? Thong?). If you are a health or fitness blogger interested in having your blog featured on Shape, please leave me a comment here saying that you’re interested. You will need to e-mail me (chariander AT gmail DOT com – replace AT with @ and DOT with . you know the drill) a picture of you with your gym bag with a brief description of the contents and a link to your site. I need all submissions by Friday Nov. 11. Soooo excited to see what stuff you guys have!