Lesson learned: I don’t have a flooded basement – I have a water park for rodents!
Do you know what a hole filled with rotten water and debris smells like? Rotten eggs. Which also happens to be what my basement smells like right now. For some inexplicable reason, our basement has flooded 3 times in the past 3 days and I am t-i-r-e-d of mopping up water using every towel we have in the house (even my “good” ones!). But the worst discovery was when Gym Hubby went to install a sump pump per the advice of our plumber. What did we discover when he opened the cover of the hole in our laundry room? That’s right, a fetid swamp. Hence the rotten eggs which led to the clearing out of our basement which led to the boys all asleep in the living room which led to me being super crabby.
The funny thing is that all day I’ve been cursing my fat thighs and pudgy tummy and angrily trying on 10 pairs of pants to find one that doesn’t make me look fat… until I realized that my “fat day” was my way of dealing with my stress about the basement and my trip out of state this coming weekend to attend my grandma’s funeral. What does fat have to do with dead grandmas and damp basements? Not a thing. Why is it that my go-to response for anything is to immediately focus on my “fat”? It’s insane.
So what does one do to combat both irrelevant fat talk and flooding? 1) Call the plumber (done!) 2) Make a list of the good things that happened today so I can remember that my life is more than a very large puddle with bits of mouse crap in it that’s probably forming black mold in my walls as I type. (Ack, don’t go there! Positivity! Go back towards the light! No, the other light!)
1. Jelly Bean is really talking a lot these days. It’s mostly gibberish in her own adorable language but she sprinkles in more and more recognizable words. Today she learned orange (“owwwnge”) and kiwi (“weewee”) and was so stinking proud of herself that I couldn’t help but grin. She also learned “fly” and makes this hilarious hand-swatting motion every time she says it.
2. Gym Hubby has a good job which allows us to afford luxuries like sump pumps (excuse me, does that come in pink?) and plumbers. A blessing, truly.
3. I found the perfect pair of winter boots on clearance. They had one size left and it was mine! Yes, I bought shoes to make myself feel better. Hush. They were $15.95 and I had a $5 off coupon.
4. Yesterday I found out that I won the editor’s choice for CBS Minnesota’s Most Valuable Health Blogger! I feel very honored, both that so many of you voted for me and that the editor liked my writing that much. Thank you!
5. I got my last pair of socks from Finish Line today. Biggest box yet! I laughed so hard I peed a little and I can’t even blame the dye wash on my jeans for that one. (Totally not complaining – Finish Line’s customer service has been fantastic about helping me get my stuff.)
Now, for the last thing on my to-feel-better list: 3) Go to bed early! (-ish, it’s 11 p.m.) Goodnight!
Does anyone else immediately revert to fat talk whenever anything goes wrong?? What’s one good thing that happened to you today?