I’ve discussed, probably to the point of boredom, the things that bother me about lady mags, celeb rags and even health & fitness glossies but there is one thing that never fails to delight me: the recipe section. Every magazine has them – even People publishes a weekly celeb favorite recipe (often ironically right after an article circling everyone’s cellulite in red, sigh) – but the ones that make me most excited are the “healthified” recipes.
As you all know I have ruined many a good meal by trying to healthify food myself but when under the tutelage of a health mag and whatever famous chef they employ, I do get much better results. Take for instance this recipe from Health magazine for Mariska Hargitay’s guilt-free chocolate chip muffins. They are delightful and not an ounce of white flour to be found in them! Although, I must confess: I sub regular chocolate chips for the “dairy and gluten free” variety she recommends. I also use regular old brown sugar instead of turbinado. I’m cheap like that.
Sitting proudly next to my recipe books (all one of them – I love you Betty Crocker!) is a binder stuffed full of torn-out pages of magazine recipes and printouts from recipe sites. In addition to my SVU muffins above, I’ve also struck recipe gold with:
– Low Fat Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Protein Pancakes (Gym Buddy Allison first alerted me to these wonders and my kids ask for these at least once a week, although be warned that they turn out more akin to crepes than pancakes.)
– Diet Girl’s Instant Frozen Yogurt (I got this by way of Deb a.k.a. Smoothie Girl and it has become my new favorite summer treat. I actually omit the sugar and just blend together my homemade yogurt and frozen berries. I’m all about easy!)
– Heather Eats Almond Butter’s Maple Oaties (Again, a perennial kid fave. I’ve gotten a ton of great recipes off her site!)
What’s your favorite go-to place for recipes? Let me know in the comments and I’ll keep updating this page to keep you posted!
Readers’ Fave Sites and Recipes:
– Allrecipes (Boy howdy, everybody loves site! I’m a big fan too – especially because you can read reviews and other people’s tips!)
– 101 Cookbooks
– Cooking Light Magazine
– Taste of Home’s Healthy Cooking Magazine
– Smitten Kitchen
– Vegetarian Times Magazine
– Joy of Cooking
– Claudia adores Roni’s Green Lite Bites
– Ally of Food Girl’s Fit Life loves The Gluten Free Goddess
– Stabs loves Egg cupcakes to go and Son of Grok’s Gorilla Cake and Mark’s Daily Apple Primal Blueprint recipes
– Holly of Cookie Dough Disciple loves Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas, Feta & Wine
– Rachel posts recipes on http://sheditandgetit.
– Terese of Healthy Hott Housewife (how can you not love that?) offers us fluffier protein pancakes and Turkey Meatloaf.
– Peripatetic digs the Kale Chips over at Cheap Healthy Good
– Godiva Girl made some yummy Fragrant Chickpea Stew from Eating Well
– VaMomof2 has a long list of sites for you! http://healthyindulgences.
– Laura posts her recipes at http://absolutlyfit.blogspot.
– LC has a celeb chef crush on Ellie Krieger
– Ariel finds her primal/paleo dishes on www.elanaspantry.com & www.comfybelly.com but for ice cream she goes to www.davidleibovitz.com
– Erika cooks all kinds of stuff at www.dancingaroundthekitchen.
– Quix healthifies her meals by using http://www.imadedinner.net/ & http://www.sparkrecipes.com/
– Joshua watches a lot of FoodTV.com
– Kellie drools over http://www.sandiegocooks.blogspot.com